HOME CARE AT ITS FINEST
The summertime is a great opportunity to get outside and enjoy the warm weather—even if you’re getting a little older. No matter your age, spending time outdoors can be beneficial for your health. If you’re looking for some fun things to do this summer, Collier Home Care has got you covered. As a personal home care provider, we’re here to help seniors in the Naples, FL area enjoy their summer to the fullest. Here are four fun ideas seniors can do this summer:more
No matter your age, there is still so much to celebrate in life each day. Your golden years are chock-full of accumulated potential, friends, and events worth finding joy in each day. Collier Home Care in Naples, Florida, is here to talk about the four ways to fill the golden years of your life with joy. Check out our blog today for even more life-positive things to celebrate and do!more
Dementia numbers are on the rise, increasing 16% during the Covid-19 pandemic.
It takes more lives than prostate and breast cancer combined. While there may not yet be a cure for this disease, there are some steps you can take to prevent it.more
- Handwashing is a great way to protect yourself and others from getting sick. Here is a summary of steps from the World Health Organization (WHO) that can help stop the spread of germs (reenacted by our Collier Home Care staff):
- You’ve probably heard in the news lately that Florida will fine businesses $5,000 per person for requiring proof of vaccination. Those reports are regarding violations of Florida Statute Sec. 381.00316, effective as of July 1, 2021. That law prevents businesses from requiring that patrons or customers provide any documentation of COVID vaccination to obtain service from that business such as a “Vaccine Passport”.
- We, in southwest Florida, have been relatively lucky recently with hurricanes. Although we were hit by Irma in 2017 and Wilma in 2005, hurricane disasters have not been an annual event like in some other parts of the US. Still, one never knows when a hurricane might appear. So that we are able to take quick and decisive action when, not if, a hurricane appears on the horizon, it is imperative that we plan and think through what our actions will be ahead of time.
- In recent years, statistics show that the majority of the elderly population in the United States would prefer to stay in their current home for long despite restrictions of aging, chronic illness, cognition, or disability. Home health aides with specialized training provide hands-on care to seniors or patients at their homes to improve their quality of life.
- For a large number of people, admitting that they need help can be incredibly difficult. After a lifetime of doing things themselves, working for themselves, and managing all of the daily chores and responsibilities that occur, it’s understandable that someone wouldn’t want to give up control of certain things in their life. However, help is essential when it comes to senior citizens who are healthy enough to remain at home but require some assistance in order to remain safe in their home.
- Caring for an aging loved one can be hard regardless of their physical or mental condition; but for seniors who have had a stroke, caregivers often take on considerable responsibility. Depending on the severity, stroke patients may face challenges with mobility, such as walking or using their arms, talking, memory challenges, as well as financial difficulties. In many cases, physical therapists and speech therapists can provide immense support, but much of the care falls on family members.
- The truth is that we are social beings; even those who like and need their alone time need some type of interaction with other people to keep their mind and body healthy. But for many elderly who live alone, who may not have a lot of family around, getting older is met with social challenges, in addition to the many other challenges of aging.
- When the health of a loved one is on the fine line between being able to stay at home and needing to go to a nursing home facility, it causes an incredible amount of pain and heartache for the family. Of course, everyone wants a senior loved one to be able to stay at home, but when medical assistance is required at home, there are several factors to consider before a decision can be made that is best for everyone.
- “There needs to be an app that edits what I say versus what I want to say.”
- Blake Shelton
According to a study done by the Pew Research Center, 96% of Americans own a cellphone of some kind, with 81% owning a smartphone. But many do not take advantage of all the features of the supercomputer that is small enough to fit into your pocket. In this age of technology, you can download applications (or apps) that can assist you with everyday life, including:more
- “My view on feng shui: don’t put your bed in front of the door because you won’t get in.”
- ― Jonas Eriksson
Happy New Year! In 2021, you want to make sure that you are starting off fresh and positive. Why not reflect that mindset by changing up your space? Feng Shui dates back to ancient China and is defined as the art of Chinese geomancy. The goal is to arrange the objects in your home or office to allow the positive and creative energy in your office to flow more freely.more
- “One resolution I have made, and try always to keep, is this: To rise above the little things” – John Burroughs
As the end of our year is fast approaching, many people take this time to decide how they would like to present their best self in the new year. They do so by declaring their New Year’s Resolutions, a declaration of their unwavering promise to change what they perceive as a flaw.more
- ‘Three phrases that sum up the holidays are:
- Peace on Earth, Goodwill to Men, and Batteries not Included.’ – Unknown
Although this year has been a difficult one, it’s best to turn any negative energy you have into creating something fun and unique! Here are some fun ways to make your home look stylish for the season without breaking the bank!more
- “The flu season is when you start off in the morning with a light heart and end up in the evening with a heavy nose.”
- – Robert Orben
While we may be ready to don our holiday apparel with the dropping temperatures, it is evident that flu season is finally upon us. Now we must struggle with defending ourselves against the threat of the flu, as well as the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Below are some tips that the CDC recommends to protect yourself and others.more
- “Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love.” – Hamilton Wright Mabie
With Thanksgiving finally past, and Christmas swiftly approaching, it is imperative to remember that many of us will be celebrating this holiday alone due to the continuing pandemic. Although this may dampen your spirits, here are some ways that you can experience some holiday happiness.more
- “Laughter is brightest where food is best.”
- – Irish Proverb
Collier Home Care can provide your loved one with a home health aide (HHA) or a certified nursing assistant (CNA) to protect and keep them independent in their home, but with the holidays quickly approaching, can we also protect them from the consequences of Thanksgiving’s delectable dishes? Americans take in 3,000 to 4,500 calories at their Thanksgiving celebrations, according to estimates by the Calorie Control Council.more
- “There are four types of people in the world: Those who have been caregivers. Those who are currently caregivers. Those who will be caregivers, and those who will need a caregiver.”
- – Rosalyn Carter
Collier Home Care provides Registered Nurses (RNs), Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs), Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs), and Home Health Aides (HHAs) that create a safe environment for you to stay independent in your home. While these caregivers do a wonderful job, sometimes it can be difficult to remember to show our appreciation for these dedicated individuals. November marks National Home Care Month, and it is a perfect opportunity to show our caregivers how much we appreciate their time and hard work.more
- “As long as Autumn lasts, I shall not have hands, canvas and colors enough to paint the beautiful things I see.”
- – Vincent Van Gogh
Florida is known for its clear skies, beautiful beaches, and the balmy feeling of summer all year long. While this is appealing to most, some may long for the crunch of leaves underneath their shoes and curling up next to the fire during the colder days. Here are some ways that you can enjoy living in the Sunshine State, while also participating in the fall experience.more
- “If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.”
- – Dalai Lama
Home Health and Home Care sound very similar but are distinctly different. Home Health offers skilled care, often covered by Medicare and other insurances while Home Care offers non-medical or custodial care covered by private pay or long-term care insurance (reimbursement or direct assignment).more
- “Excuse the mess, but we live here.”
- – Roseanne Barr
Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs) and Home Health Aides (HHAs) provide many different services in the home such as assistance with bathing and meal preparation but it is the task of light housekeeping that often requires additional clarification on a client’s Service Plan. Housekeeping, whether it is wiping down a counter or cleaning windows, tends to get lumped together into one category, indistinguishable by light, medium, or deep cleaning tasks.more
- “If you Have a friend or family member with breast cancer, try not to look at her with ‘sad eyes.’ Treat her as you always did; just show a little extra love.”
– Hoda Kotb
- ““The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.”
- – Charles de Gaulle
We, at Collier Home Care, agree with those who believe that pets can be great companions! They are often considered to be part of the family and are said to provide health and mental/emotional benefits. Undoubtedly, Pets can have a significant and positive impact on a senior’s quality of life.more
If you’re burning the candle from both ends, there’s no fire left for you.
We at Collier Home Care have seen many cases of caregiver burnout. We suggest you read the article below and give us a call if you think that you or someone close may be suffering from caregiver burnout. We provide some suggestions below on avoiding or controlling burnout and we are happy to consult with you and make suggestions without any commitment.
- “Getting old is like climbing a mountain; you get a little out of breath, but the view is much better!”
- —Ingrid Bergman
September is “Healthy Aging Month” and we’re celebrating here at Collier Home Care with seven healthy aging strategies for seniors who want to celebrate the positive aspects of growing older…and wiser!more
It’s a fact of life; nobody can get along with everybody. So how can you achieve a high level of compatibility with your new home caregiver?more
We at Collier Home Care (CHC) want you to stay safe during this challenging period of hurricanes and COVID-19. CHC is a private duty home care company located in Naples, Florida, and is licensed to provide companion care, personal, and skilled nursing care in Collier, Lee, and Charlotte counties. We are a local, family-owned company that is licensed, bonded, and insured. To learn more about Collier Home Care please call our main office line at (239) 920-3902 or visit us online at www.collierhomecare.com. We are more than happy to discuss your current needs with you and help you determine what level of care you need.more
Due to Covid-19, most seniors are either staying home by choice and or greatly limiting their outings or are under quarantine measures. Retirement communities such as Assisted Living Facilities or Skilled Nursing Rehabilitation Centers have closed their doors to the public, including the families of residents. Although this has worked to prevent the spread of this deadly disease, it has created an opening for another disease that plagues the elderly: depression.more
Finding the right home health care provider essentially comes down to what your needs are. But finding a service that fits your needs may be harder than it sounds. One agency can provide very different services than another, offer different prices, have a different process for hiring and training nurses, and more. And when you’re looking for someone to provide in-home care, it’s a very personal service and one that everyone involved needs to feel comfortable with.more
With so much uncertainty surrounding COVID-19, it’s completely understandable that you may be feeling anxious, worried, or scared about your health and the health and wellbeing of those around you. At Collier Home Care, we are committed to providing our clients with superior home health care and service. But it is more important now to increase our level of care and practice diligence in everything we do.more
While the CDC does recommend that everyone should stay six feet apart due to the COVID-19 pandemic, distancing yourself completely can have harmful mental effects on you or your elderly loved ones. Here are some great tips on how to get some social interaction while social distancing.more
Catch Them When They’re In A Positive Mood!
It’s human nature: Everyone is more receptive to talking when they’re in a good mood. Instead of trying to talk with your elderly parents about home care options when they are tired, worried, or experiencing symptoms of physical or emotional pain, wait until they are feeling better. You know when your parents are in a good mood; wait until this opportune moment, and then bring up the subject.more
Happy National Nutrition Month!
Created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, National Nutrition Month is a time to celebrate healthy eating! It’s also an opportunity to take a look at what we’re consuming and making smart changes for better health.more
Private in-home care can take different forms. There is personal care, where a caregiver comes to the individual’s home for a specified number of hours each day to help with getting dressed and groomed, assist with meals, and offer services related to daily living tasks. Private in-home care can also take the form of 24-hour care. The question that many people ask themselves is, “When is 24-hour care the best option?”more
Even if you are a very independent person, there may come a time when you need 24-hour home care, either temporarily or indefinitely.more
Either because of a disability or due to the natural process of aging, many people in the greater Naples, FL region require some type of home care assistance. What’s available to you or a loved one? Read today’s blog to learn more about the types of services you can make use of. You’ll probably be pleasantly surprised to discover the variety and scope of help that’s at your disposal!more
A Variety Of Care Options In Naples, FL
Our region is a beautiful area with a warmer climate that appeals to individuals of all ages. From boating and outdoor enthusiasts who enjoy sunshine and water sports, to seniors who are done with cold, snowy weather and are ready for summer- and spring-like conditions year-round, Naples offers a great location for enjoying everything that life offers!more
Many seniors opt to live at home during their retirement years. It makes sense to want to be in a familiar, comfortable environment, a place that has truly been made “home” through years of hard work and loving care.more
One of the most important responsibilities that a home care company has to a client and their family or loved ones is coordinating the right caregiver, or the best-fitting caregiver. Although it is tempting to just schedule whoever is available without thinking about what the client needs or wants, it is far more rewarding to listen to your clients and spend the time and resources identifying and arranging the best-fitting at-home caregivers for that person.more
As we get older, we will all need help to some degree with daily living activities. Senior home care services can meet these needs. Read today’s blog to learn more about the services provided through senior home care and how they can benefit you, a family member, or a loved one.more